Last year I wrote a blog article on making the ultimate new year’s resolution. I started my year off with my own advice – do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today. I took that advice and shortened it saying “The time is now!” I wrote the saying everywhere. I kept it in my mind. I repeated it to my friends when they asked for my advice. I told it to multiple audiences in professional presentations I gave. I told it to strangers.
A new year’s resolution is a way of making yourself better. It is about being able to continue it, not only this year but, for years to come. I followed my own advice and many great things happened as a direct result, as follows:
- I attained a new dream job at Airfoil Tech Marcom and PR
- I was asked to sit on the Board of Directors for Michigan Parkinson Foundation
- I was accepted to teach professional development courses on social media at my alma mater, Madonna University
- I achieved my one year blog goals
- I was asked to sit on the Madonna University Alumni Advisory Board
- I’m going to be a Dad (the best one of all)
By telling myself a simple line – the time is now – in all situations, I was able to elevate myself to a level of success that I did not expect. The world will not wait for you. You will never be as young, good-looking or healthy as you are today. So, why wait? Through this next year, challenge yourself. Now is the time:
- To make sure you are happy
- To help someone
- To help yourself
- To push yourself for that promotion
- To write that email
- To make that phone call
- To try something new
- To ask that question
Give it a shot and tell me how it is going for you. I may feature you in a blog article. For me, now is the time to finish writing my book this year. I’ll update you throughout the year on the progress.
What was your resolution last year? How long did you follow through on it? What is your resolution this new year?